Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Beauty of Balsamic Vinegar & Albanian History


Well hey there!
            This, ladies and gentlemen, is the voice of a girl who has been keeping up with the late-night Italian lifestyle for almost three weeks now and is finally at a breaking point. Today is a day filled with homework, finally braving the laundry room (it really does look like a morgue), catching up with people back home, and writing this blog post. I’ve been so tired from the past two weeks of non-stop adventure that today, I’m just taking it easy.  
            This week has been a week of settling in: we’ve been getting into a rhythm of going to the gym, buying groceries, doing homework, and fighting with the Italian post office in the process of wiring money to help fellow Americans in distress who have lost their debit card. I’ve started to watch Italian tv rather than listen to music when going to the gym, which makes episodes of White Collar very amusing, but not nearly as fun with the lack of Matt Bomer’s voice. The good news is, I can successfully describe how to rob a bank in Italian now—who says you can’t learn stuff at the gym? Our daily visits to Café Max have now become so essential to my existence in Bologna that on those rare mornings when I wake up too late to stop for coffee, the rest of my day seems completely unbalanced. Max now greets us through the glass panes of his door each time we stroll by on our way back to Forni in the afternoon, which often ends up being the highlight of my day.
            In class, we’ve continued our study of the opera and Ivan’s extreme passion for the tragic love story of Turiddu and Santuzza in the Sicilian-based opera Cavalleria Rusticana has kept me entertained despite the seemingly-dry subject. It’s been a long time since I’ve had this amount of love for a professor. He somehow manages to get us all interested in whatever he teaches us and I’m not afraid to make grammatical mistakes when speaking Italian, because the worst reaction I get from him is a slightly scrunched-up face—like a child who is being forced to eat bitter broccoli—and a quick shake of the head, before he corrects me.  
            We went to our second cooking class with Rita! This time, we were in a much smaller group, as ECCO had divided us up. Rather than our entire program packed into Rita’s kitchen, it was just the six of us in our Intensive Italian course, so we had many more opportunities to get hands-on experience. First, Rita gave us a course on table manners and place settings; everything was very formal and elegant and I felt like I was receiving princess lessons (yes, thank you, I’m ready to assume the throne of Genovia now). Of course, a lot of the rules were also extremely archaic and sexist and Rita’s suggestions on general table decorum were occasionally frustrating for an American girl living in the twenty-first century. But at least I know what fork to use with my salad.
            After princess lessons, we went into the kitchen (with matching aprons, I might add) and began making our meal: GNOCCHI. Yeah, you heard me. Gnocchi—from scratch. We made two different kinds: one regular type, with flour, eggs, potatoes, etc.; and then another kind, which included fresh spinach, which we mashed up in a blender and molded into our dough, to make bright green gnocchi. We then rolled it out and cut out our little gnocchi to be boiled on the stove (you know they’re done cooking when they float to the surface of the water), but not before Rita attempted to teach us this snazzy way of rolling the gnocchi with the tips of your fingers so that you make a sort of hybrid-tube-gnocchi to absorb the sauce. I utterly failed at this tube-creation-process, so I stuck to cutting out the little squares of pasta and passing them along to more dexterous people to roll. So…
            Gnocchi plate #1: plain gnocchi with arugula pesto
            Gnocchi plate #2: spinach gnocchi with a gorgonzola cream sauce
And then we had a plate of raw vegetables to dip into olive oil, along with a chocolate pudding we made from scratch (which we let cool off on the windowsill of Rita’s apartment after cooking) and everything was so delicious.







            The dinner itself was really fun. Rita and her husband, Giovanni, were wonderful hosts. I was sitting closer to Giovanni’s end of the table, which ended up working out perfectly because while Rita was teaching us typical Bolognese dialect words of the north, Giovanni was instructing us on how to speak Sicilian, of the south. I tend to have a soft spot for southern Italy, on the whole, so it became even more amusing when the couple began to jokingly yell at each other in different dialects and Giovanni proclaimed that his end of the table was the southern side of Italy. Giovanni then made a face and waved his hands, saying: “It is one thing for the north and south to be forced together. But for the two to be joined as husband and wife?” He closed his eyes dramatically and threw his arms up in the air. “It is a very terrible thing!”
            Rita then promptly insulted him in an Italian dialect we were not familiar with, and we all laughed along even though we didn’t understand a word of it. I’m pretty sure this was Rita’s intention.
            The conversation soon moved to politics, as most conversations with Italians do, and we had a really interesting talk on Obama and the elections and the possibility for next term’s president. Seeing the American Presidency from an outsider’s view is fascinating, but what got even more interesting was when we moved to Italian politics. My knowledge of Italian politics is currently limited to the basics, so it was surprising to hear all of the different problems within Italy’s political system, occasionally corrupt as it is, from the mouths of two intelligent, successful adults who claimed there was nothing to do to stop or change it. Giovanni hated Berlusconi in particular, and was very eager to tell us so. Inevitably, he told us, Berlusconi would probably win the election again this year, despite his somewhat-recent scandal and the slightly-less-than-honorable policies. We left Rita’s that night with full stomachs and an explicably excited feeling, knowing that we had essentially just been adopted by new Italian parents and had had an intelligent conversation in Italian. There may even have been a group cheer at the end of the night, beyond earshot of Rita’s apartment, but that’s debatable.  
            Yesterday we took a class trip to Modena, which is just about 30 minutes away from Bologna by train. For those of you who don’t know, Modena is home to balsamic vinegar, a military academy, Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s, Maserati’s, and Luciano Pavarotti. It’s a relatively small town, with lots of wide, cobblestone streets and surprisingly kind and patient people (having lived in Bologna for almost three weeks has prepared me for immediate rejection from local Italians upon my first grammatical mistake, if you remember). Modena is also home to the famous Professor Ivan Tassi, which only made the day better. He met us at the train station and from there, began to walk us through the city. He was constantly reminding us to be careful when crossing the streets because people drive very fast here in Modena (as opposed to everywhere else in Italy, where they abide by all traffic rules and drive at a normal, safe speed?).
            We received a tour of the duomo of Modena, which was incredibly beautiful. Ivan kept reiterating the fact that you could “read the duomo like a book” because the outside walls have carvings in them that tell biblical stories, which you can read from left to right. The inside was very much like every other grand, Catholic Church in Italy, but very impressive all the same. I heard a few of my classmates whispering, “Oh well this is a cheerful religion” as they looked at all the paintings of an anguished Jesus being stabbed to death. Welcome to Catholicism in Italy, folks. It’s slightly different than the twelve years of Catholic education I’ve received throughout my life, certainly, but I’ve seen my fair share of death-by-sword-paintings. The nice thing about being Catholic and having had so many Catholic religion classes is that the Churches in Italy actually mean something to me, and I understand a lot of the symbolism carved into the walls.


The wonderful Ivan Tassi!



            But really, the Church was beautiful. There were alcoves painted with reflective gold, so that when the sun came through the windows, everything glittered. Down below, in the crypt, was the skeleton of the patron saint of Modena, dressed in nice, saintly garb. The devout old lady praying her rosary in front of the tomb was not happy when almost twenty Americans surrounded her to gawk at San Geminiano in the middle of her Holy Mary.
            After our tour of the Church, we were set free into Modena with a train ticket that would get us back to Bologna at whatever time we wanted. We had the entire afternoon and we immediately began searching for the Trattoria Aldina that Ivan had suggested we go to. We were unfortunately moving in a pack of approximately twelve girls, which is never good for eating out in Italy. It’s always better to go out in small groups, so that you’re less conspicuous as Americans (A.K.A., not as loud) and also it makes it easier to pay the bill (like England, Italy does not like to split checks—so frustrating). A few people broke off and four of us somehow managed to wander away from the rest of the group, getting slightly lost in back alleyways. We ended up returning to the same street we had started looking on and were extremely perplexed as to why the restaurant was not on the street that the map told us it was on, when a girl named Michelle pointed to an unremarkably small sign on the wall and said: “Oh look. The restaurant is on the second floor of this apartment building.”
            Of course it is. Where else would you put a restaurant?
            Because we’re American, we arrived precisely when they opened (12 pm) and felt slightly awkward about going in so early (obviously, in Italy, lunch is eaten around 1 or 2 pm). So we stood next to someone’s apartment door for about ten minutes until we felt it was appropriately past 12 pm and then entered. The room was as unremarkable as the sign outside the building, but let me tell you something: this meal was the best meal I have had since coming to Italy. This meal had the type of food that made you want to cry while you ate it. Each time I put my fork to my plate, I felt like I was dying a little inside, knowing that with each bite, there would be less food for me to eat.
            You think I’m being dramatic? I’m not. I’m completely serious.
            As I said before, Modena is known for balsamic vinegar. So when I ordered pumpkin risotto, with parmigiano reggiano melted through it and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top…I knew that I had just had a near-religious experience. That plate of risotto was life-changing. I am in love. We are already planning weekly day-trips to Modena just to eat at that restaurant which, combined with a heavenly desert of mascarpone and chocolate cake (imagine eating sweet, fluffy clouds with bursts of chocolate) and a liter of water and the cover charge…it all cost twelve euro each. TWELVE EURO for one of the best meals of my life. I need to live here forever.


I'M IN LOVE



            Anyways, after our fabulous meal, we strolled around the covered market, which was an assault on the senses. The rank smell of raw meat and fresh fish, blooms of vegetables, rows of cheese and people yelling, all combined in an explosion of sights and smells and sounds. I was really determined to find some good balsamic vinegar. I approached a place that was selling meat and pasta along with what I knew to be little dark bottles of vinegar and I asked the woman how much they cost. The lady, with bright red hair and a laugh that made you jump about a foot in the air, pointed to the bottles on the shelves beside me and I noticed that they were all about ten euro. Never a good sign. Ten euro vinegar was about the equivalent of Wish Bone salad dressing. I told her I was looking for something a little more, well…real. She then reached back in the shelves behind her and pulled out what looked like an ancient potions bottle, filled with a liquid so dark that it almost looked purple.
            “This is mine,” She told me. “My family has been making balsamic vinegar for years and years and years.” I asked her how old the aged vinegar in her hands was. She squinted at it for a moment before shrugging and saying, “About fifty years.”
            FIFTY YEAR-OLD BALSAMIC VINEGAR.
            The food-fanatic in me is squealing with joy and when the woman starts to uncork the bottle and pull out a little spoon, doling out a small taste of the vinegar for me to try, it’s taking all my self-control not to start jumping up and down. After fifty years, that vinegar was extremely strong, but so good, and the woman seemed pleased when I told her so and then passed what was left on the spoon for the other girls who were waiting for me to try it. Of course, fifty years does not come cheap: a euro for every year, the woman told me. And as much as I would have loved to spend fifty euro on a bottle of balsamic vinegar from a woman who has been making vinegar since she was a child, and her mother before her…I really actually could not spend that much money. But I thanked her profusely and gave her a wave as we walked out of the food market towards the antique market.
            There, we found old maps and advertisement posters from Italy, which were great. I picked up an old Nutella print from the 1950’s, which I plan on framing someday and hanging in a kitchen. Some of the other girls managed to charm a man into giving them two maps from the 1800’s for 35 euro, rather than the 80 euro they were originally priced at. We’re professional hagglers.
            Saturday was just…great. As we got back on the train to Bologna, we couldn’t stop talking about everything we had done and the fact that there was finally sunshine. As I write this right now, I can even see sun streaming in through my window, despite Bologna’s unique geographical position that usually guarantees clouds and fog. I’m hoping this sunshine will continue? At least for a little while.


The Market



            Last night I hung out with Viola-Uno (my roommate) for a while. She cooked me and Viola-Due an Albanian dinner, which consisted of a sort of very spicy stew of potatoes, carrots, beans, and tomatoes. She was very proud of herself and was very excited to share Albanian food with me, since most of the emphasis on cultural exchange in the apartment is with Italian customs. And then Viola was determined to make this molten chocolate cake, so she made me help her and I’m glad I did. Not only did I get cake, but I also got to spend even more time with my wonderful roommate. I could not be happier about my housing arrangement. Although Letizia (the housemate from Cameroon) is still occasionally difficult to get along with (for everyone, not just me), Marta and Viola-Uno (and Viola-Due, since she basically lives here anyways) are just amazing. A few of the other American girls actually come to my apartment to hang out around my roommates, because they love them almost as much as I do. As Viola-Uno and I cooked and ate together, she gave me a little history lesson on Albania, and I just feel so incredibly lucky sometimes to be sitting in my kitchen in Italy, listening to my roommate tell me about their national hero, George Kastrioti Skanderbeg, and how he helped hold off the Ottoman Empire from completely dominating her country. These are the stories we tell our children about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, but while our heroes are out in the woods chopping down cherry trees, Albania’s hero is charging into battle against the same people who kidnapped him as a child and forced him into their military service. As Viola recounted his entire life story, I felt like I was watching some sort of Russell Crowe movie, except it’s real history, not a critic review of Gladiator.
            And now it’s already the afternoon here and I have a paper to write and courses to figure out and professors to email. I occasionally forget to keep up with the business-side of things here, since I feel like I’m living in a perpetual dream. At the end of this week, a group of us will be going to Venice to celebrate Carnevale, but hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze in one more blog post before then. I hope that whoever is reading this, you’re having a spectacular day. Thanks for stopping by and keeping up with me! And if you have a free moment today, check out George Kastrioti Skanderbeg. He led a pretty interesting life.

A dopo!

Danielle


© Copyright Danielle DeSimone. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment