Monday, May 6, 2013

Visitors & Living in the Now


So there are two important things that happened in March and April! Even big events such as people coming to visit me all the way from America seem easy to forget with everything that’s going on, but I thought I would rewind just one more time for all of you to recall those significant 6 days that each set of visitors spent here in Bologna with me.
            Sam came to visit me in March! Which was extremely exciting! I managed to find him an apartment nearby to stay in (my dorm has very strict visitor policies) which was small and had a somewhat-dangerous bathroom, but served its purpose. I had a lot of plans to show him around and travel, but as is very usual in Bologna in March, the weather was dismal. We did manage a wonderful day in Venice, which is a city that never gets old, no matter how many times you visit. Also, the light drizzle of rain did not take away from the beauty of Venice’s canals and windy alleyways. I really loved showing Sam around, since I know Venice pretty well, having traveled there so many times with my parents. I think that ended up being the most successful travel day of his trip. We also did a half-day trip to Ravenna to see the mosaics again…and then a disastrous trip to Siena in which we:

(1). Took the train to Florence from Bologna in the morning.
(2). The train from Bologna to Florence was delayed.
(3). When we finally got to Florence we waited for a bus to arrive to take us to Siena.
(4). We got on the wrong bus. Rather than taking us on the highway, it took us on back country roads and stopped at every. single. little. town. on the way to Siena.
(5). Over-eager, I made us get off the bus at the bottom of the hill of Siena. Siena is at the top of the hill.
(6). We climbed for about two hours, getting lost multiple times, until we finally reached the city center.
(7). At this point it was 3 p.m…so everything was closed. And it was grey and raining.
(8). We ate a spectacular lunch.
(9). The tower in the Campo was closed due to rain. We went to the church instead, which was beautiful.
(9). We struggled to find the bus ticket booth to get back to Florence. We got on the correct bus this time.
(10). We made it to Bologna and crashed, completely exhausted.

This day-trip to Siena was physically and emotionally draining. It was probably the most difficult traveling I’ve dealt with, just because one thing kept piling on top of the other. Other than these small days of traveling, I toured Sam around Bologna, which involved a lot of food-eating. Welcome to Bologna.


Siena!


On the Rialto in Venice


The top of Asinelli Tower in Bologna


My parents also came to visit! They came quite recently in April. We stayed in Bologna for the most part, but spent two days in the city of Lucca, in Tuscany. We really went full-circle with this trip: the only other time we visited Lucca, I was eight years old. I had been incredibly excited about this completely-walled medieval city for weeks and it was just my luck that as soon as we got there, I had developed an incredibly high fever and became so delirious that I woke up in the middle of the night, babbling in Italian. It was at this point that my mother discovered that every time I had come home from Italian school claiming to have learned nothing was all a lie. I was apparently fluent in Italian. Or at least I was in my fever-induced state.
            As a result, I didn’t really get to see the city I had been so excited to see. My eight year-old-self was always very disappointed by this. My parents were nice enough to take me back there this time! We even stayed in the same hotel that I had originally gotten sick in. Luckily, this time, there was no fever. We spent a wonderful two days touring around the medieval city and eating way too much. In the morning of our second day, we rented bikes and rode them along the walls of the city (the walls are so wide that there is a huge bike/walking/running path that runs along the top of them, so that you can look down at the city or the moat on either side the entire time). We also rode our bikes into the city and got a bunch of sliced meat, cheese, vegetables and bread and had a huge picnic up on the walls in the sunshine.
            Once back in Bologna, I showed my parents around the city. They really had just wanted to get a feel for how I was living here in Italy and I think I succeeded in showing them…again, mainly through food. I also was able to tell them a lot about the history of the city thanks to my Urban History class, which was really cool. I was kind of surprised by how much I had learned since being here! Marta and Viola cooked my parents a feast, just as they had done for Sam. Both dinners with my roommates were really fun and I can’t express enough how grateful I am for the apartment I was placed in. They are just such a wonderful people.


In Lucca


Riding bikes!


Lucca's walls


Cooking dinner with Marta


:)


My absolute favorite picture ever.


            It was strange having people from home here.  I think I have a very Military-brat type of mentality when abroad: when I’m in a new place, I immerse myself completely. My contact with “home” is limited, if only because as a kid, I grew up knowing that “home” was not the place I had left behind, but the new place that I was in at that moment—and the one that would follow soon after, just three years later. This should explain to some of you why I’ve been so bad at keeping in touch throughout this semester: not out of lack of love, but just a lack of consciousness of what “home” is.  Because of this, I have the world of Bologna and the worlds of Virginia Beach and Fredericksburg very divided. Having people come from one place into the other was really weird. It was like their faces didn’t fit on my streets here, just as I’m sure it’ll be strange when I visit the American friends I’ve made here when we’re all back in the States. I know that not everyone goes through their semester abroad like this—a lot of people spend hours skyping family and friends every week. There is nothing wrong with this way of studying abroad! I completely understand the need to stay in touch with the people you feel closest to. I’ve just realized that being raised by the Navy means that when I’m in a place, I’m in it completely. I’m looking forward to my summer at home and my Senior year at UMW, but I can still wait for it to come. Right now, I’m enjoying the moment and the people here. Speaking of right now, it’s 2:30 a.m. and tomorrow I have to study for my exams, in addition to writing an update about my trips to Gaeta and Barcelona. I should probably head off to bed soon!
            So if I’ve been out of touch, but you still stop by this blog from time to time, this is my way of reaching out and letting you know that thousands of miles away, I’m still thinking about you occasionally. I’m just very much invested in my time here; and let’s be honest, that’s how it should be, right? Virginia Beach and Fredericksburg will still be waiting for me on May 31st. I only have Bologna and Europe for these next few weeks and I’m going to be here completely as much as I can before these five amazing months come to a close and I have to figure out how to go back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment