Thursday, April 11, 2013

Vignette # 4: The Locals



            As the weeks fly by, native Bolognese have become more and more entrenched into my day-to-day life. A few examples…

Max is still a constant figure in our lives. We go to his bar to get a cappuccino and a pastry any morning that we have class and he’s gotten very comfortable teasing us and calling us his “ragazze”. He is still trying to set Skyla up with one of his two sons that also work at the bar and most of his other regular patrons know who we are now—that large crowd of American girls that orders three cappuccino’s, one café lungo and one café macchiato, and all of our individual pastry orders that Max knows by heart.

The old vegetable couple belong to the little vegetable stand along Via San Vitale, the street that leads to my studentato, in which tables of vegetables and fruit line the street and the open-air store. They are also helped by a young man who is either their grandson or their vegetable-apprentice. I now only buy my fruits and veggies from them and refuse to buy them at the grocery store, as they are both better quality and cheaper. This also encourages me to cook more and cook healthier. I made the mistake of trying to pick out my own vegetables…a big no-no. The old lady yelled at me pretty harshly but we have an understanding now: I tell her what I want and I get all of my fruits and veggies packaged neatly for me in brown paper bags. We’ve progressed to very basic conversations about the weather and I really like having “my place” to go to.

The leprechaun man is the cutest, tiniest man I have ever encountered. We call him the leprechaun man because he is less than half my height and wears a long green tweed jacket and a fedora hat. He shuffles down Via San Vitale with a long cane and deep-set wrinkles that frame eyes that watch carefully as you walk by. Old people here have incredibly interesting faces and it’s always a welcome sight to see him in the morning, making the same (albeit much slower) trek as us towards the center of the city.

The staff of Gelatauro by now know me. This gelateria is certainly not the best gelato I’ve ever had, but it’s just a two minute walk from my apartment and all the gelato is “slow-food”; that is, super organic and snazzy and with funky flavors like “Principe di Calabria”: jasmine, cream, and sponge cake. Or, our personal favorite, “Regno delle Due Sicilie”: pisctachio, Spanish cream (whatever that is), pine nuts, and sponge cake (again). Ahhh! So good. There’s one particular employee there, a sassy gelateria girl, who definitely judges me based on how much gelato I ate in one 48-hour window. It’s okay. Deep down, I know we’re best friends.

The staff of BomboCrepe also knows me and the majority of the other American girls really well. I guess there is a pattern to this…all of the locals I seem to be getting to know are somehow connected to food. But BomboCrepe is a favorite because they make crepes with everything. My personal favorite? Nutella and strawberries. The standing-room-only creperia is just a few feet away from ECCO’s office and on the weekends is open till around 3 am. These people, unlike Gelatauro, do not judge me when I come in for my nutella fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment