Monday, April 22, 2013

Vignette # 7: Day-Trips


The great thing about Europe is its train system; every time I look at the list of cities that I can get to from Bologna’s central station, it kills me to know that America’s train system is not nearly as extensive or efficient. Admittedly, a train system through America has a lot of ground to cover, but that still doesn’t change the fact that for about 35 euro I can reach Venice in an hour and a half and Rome in two hours. As such, I’ve been taking advantage of this and have done a few trips around Bologna—some with friends, others with my classes.
            Rebecca, Kyra and I took a small day-trip to the city of Ferrara in February, which is about twenty minutes away by train. Ferrara has a distinctively medieval feel to it (very much like Bologna, but without the porticoes) and an extremely impressive castle + moat which we’ve actually discussed before in our Storia Urbana (Urban History) class. Ferrara also has delicious pumpkin pasta, which was a welcome sight after two hours walking in the freezing cold.


Being culturally sensitive to Ferrara's griffon statues



The castle


On the streets

            In regards to my Storia Urbana class, we go on a lot of field trips throughout Bologna and the surrounding area. My class often spends half the time in the classroom and the other half walking around the city, looking at medieval towers and commenting on the structure of piazza’s and Church statues. This is one of the reasons I absolutely love this class—I’m learning so much about the city I’m living in. I’ve noticed this is a pattern in certain study abroad programs: the UMW partner program that I did last summer in Bath, England (ASE: Advanced Studies in England) also focused one of its courses on learning about the history and the buildings of the city through studying Jane Austen, which really enriched my experience. You just become much more connected to the place in which you’re studying and I’m really glad that I’m taking this urban history course.
            Our class also went to a castle outside Bologna in the country, which is one of the best-preserved medieval castles still standing; a lot of the castles here in the north were bombed (by Americans) in World War II, as they were commonly used as Nazi or fascist hideouts. Miraculously, this particular castle survived any significant destruction. This castle was beautiful. It was also very refreshing to get out of the city and breathe some air free of smoke and exhaust fumes. The castle today is casually owned by a billionaire who was generous enough to allow our class to tiptoe through his ridiculously rich house (house? HA), which was a spectacular combination of medieval architecture and state-of-the-art kitchen appliances. The groundskeeper (YES, THE GROUNDSKEEPER) even made us all coffee before ushering the peasants (our class) out and back on the bus to Bologna.


Lydia and I


Millionaire decor


Our professor! Explaining the mysteries of the well


            I also went to Florence for a day in March, which was spectacular. Until quite recently, Bologna tended to be in a perpetual state of fog, rain and cold. Going into Florence for the day was beautiful mainly because of the sunshine. It was so warm and beautiful out. I’ve been to Florence multiple times with my parents, so I didn’t have any burning desire to go to the Uffizi gallery or into the Duomo, so while the other girls did these things, Lily and I amused ourselves simply with walking around the city in the gorgeous weather, eating our way through the day (this is not an exaggeration—I probably ate five meals) and just taking in the sights and the people and the markets. It was shocking how much English we heard—there were Americans and Brits everywhere. Once again, I am so glad that I decided not to study in Florence. Although the city itself is spectacular, it’s been turned into a sort of amusement park for English-speaking tourists. I heard more English than Italian that Saturday and I did not like that any waiters or store-owners that we talked to insisted on speaking in English, even when we could clearly hold our own in Italian. I just know that I’m getting a much more authentic Italian experience here in Bologna and am especially happy with the amount of Italian language I speak on a day-to-day basis. However, I can’t complain about Florence’s ample use of truffle oil, its excellent gelato, and its beautiful bridges. I also can’t complain about the fact that it takes me only thirty minutes by train to reach Italy’s cultural capital and that this sort of accessibility can take me practically anywhere throughout Italy and Europe combined. So thank you Trenitalia/Italo. I love you.


Il Duomo


Ponte Vecchio



Enjoying the tramonto (sunset) by the river :)



No comments:

Post a Comment